Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Using Bitlocker

From: randy <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:37:34 -0400

Here are a couple of things to remember about using any Full Disk
Encryption (FDE) solution.

1. FDE should be PART of the the overall encryption scheme and not the ONLY
encryption scheme.
2. FDE is effective only when the machine is powered off.
3. Malware running with user privs will be able to open any file the user
can access in an FDE environment.
4. Additional file level encryption tools (Microsoft Office Encryption, PDF
file encryption, PDF portfolio, PGP, etc.) must be implemented to protect
sensitive data files when the system is powered up.

I have to remind our users that FDE is a component of the sensitive data
protection plan. It's not the SOLE protection tool.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab