Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Next gen firewall bake-off

From: Ben Parker <BParker () CHICORPORATION COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:36:42 +0000

Shashank,
Some additional things to look at might be some test scenarios from the operational side instead of just does the
device allow us to do X. Also consider asking how long does it take to complete X(For example create a new policy).
Given an issue how quickly can you troubleshoot with logs determine where/what the error is? How easily can you
determined what changed between time and A and time B.

Everyone is short staffed so being able to improve operational efficiencies should be considered as part of your
bake-off. It will also give you some additional metrics to compare since most vendors are trying to reach parity on
features.

As far as the experience question, mine has mostly been with Palo Alto's where I first saw them while since working at
a university. Since then I have done more work with Palo Alto's and a little with Sonicwalls. Generally speaking, I
think most of the UTM's can now do something similar to the Palo Alto but not usually as detailed and definitely not as
efficiently when you look at the throughput hit for enabling features. They are also usually cheaper but take much
longer to accomplish your goal on. So you end up making the trade-off, cost versus depth of feature set and ease of use.

Sincerely,

Ben Parker
Sales and Implementation Engineer
Chi Corporation