Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Next gen firewall bake-off

From: "Kumar, Shashank" <skumar () FGCU EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:44:08 +0000

Greetings Colleagues,

I also posted this in the 'Netman' group. I apologize if anyone received this email twice.

We are evaluating next gen firewall solution for our campus and wanted to tap into the collective expertise of our
group.
I have the following questions to ask the group:

1.       The test case that we intend to use attached. Could anyone provide feedback on the test case - is it thorough,
are we missing anything?

2.       We don't have access to Spirent or Ixia. Are there any free imix or any other traffic generators that can help
measure bandwidth? Is iperf the best option?

3.       What tools would you use for SYN flood/UDP flood testing and for IPS testing?

4.       What did your bake-off/test case look like?

5.       Experience with any NGFW that you can share?

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Best Regards,
Shashank
FGCU Network Services |Tel: 239-590-7448

Florida has a very broad public records law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida
Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise
exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in
response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by
phone or in writing.

Never give out your username or password to anyone. This includes any accounts you have such as: FGCU, bank and credit
card accounts, and other personal accounts.