Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint 13500 Next Generation Firewall/Security

From: Robert Rudloff <Robert.Rudloff () DU EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 21:35:29 +0000

We do not use Checkpoint, but we’ve had similar issues which we handle through several different layers of network and
security design.  We are 10Gbps to the internet – using a fairly beefy, but simple, firewall (lots of throughput, but
not many features), an in-line malware blocking system, and then most of our other security systems (e.g, DMCA,
IDS/IPS, etc.) are in passive mode.  Our IPS is a soft IPS, so it receives traffic passively, but it can issue blocks
through the soft-blocking mechanism.  So far the soft IPS is highly effective for us – it has some limitations on
blocking, but it monitors effectively, so for the few items it has trouble blocking we have procedures in place to
leverage firewall capabilities or other solutions.

Tuning the monitoring/blocking rules and traffic controls are still the big areas of focus – once we cached to the edge
of our network traffic jumped dramatically in all the same categories you mention.  Then it is a matter of having solid
search and isolation features of the security system combined with security engineers/analysts who can spend the time
deciding what to monitor/block/etc.  We’ve found that doing the tuning in-house with advise/support from the vendor
works the best.

Good luck – post again if you work your way through the issues.

Rob

Robert Rudloff
AVC Service Assurance & CISO
University of Denver