Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint 13500 Next Generation Firewall/Security

From: "Flynn, Gary - flynngn" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:21:41 +0000

No experience with checkpoint but I'll share some observations.

When we first attempted to install a network IPS system around 2002-2003 the
product crashed immediately when we put traffic through it. The vendor was
unable to get it to work in our environment even though it was used in
corporate environments.

A year or two later, we tried again and were successful with the stability
of several products including the original one we tested.  It appeared,
however, that the products were impacted in our environment more by the
number and type of sessions than throughput. Lots of in-house servers. Lots
of in-house clients with unrestricted outbound traffic.

In the late 2000's, it became increasingly more important to inspect traffic
from servers to clients as client attacks became more common. In our case,
inspection of this traffic had detrimental effects on the performance of our
product.  I'm not sure why but I suspect it is because a lot more state has
to be maintained. On top of that, the number and variety of client
components and associated attacks against their vulnerabilities needing
inspection is probably higher than the number of server components. This
probably made the number of attack signatures traffic had to traverse for
client attacks higher than those for server attacks.

In recent years, Netflix and other streaming traffic also adversely affected
the already burdened server to client inspection processes. Depending on
your priorities, you can deal with this by altering inspection based on
traffic source/destination (e.g. Netflix), file type, and/or content-type
and adjusting inspection order, depth of inspection, and/or exemption lists
accordingly.