Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Russian Hacker story in today's news

From: "Manjak, Martin" <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:37:53 +0000

What is in danger of being lost in the speculation over Holden’s operations and motives is the fact that PWs really are
a terrible form of authentication for reasons pointed out by Louis in his post. This is certainly not a new topic for
discussion, but whether or not Holden’s claims are legit, I think most of us agree that we’d prefer to have more robust
(multi-factor) methods of authentication and protecting credentials.

I teach a graduate class to business students and by the end of the term, they are nearly all using multi-factor on
their public accounts because they’ve come to realize that passwords, both their synchronization and gate-keeping
functions for account resets, make them more vulnerable, rather than more secure.

Marty Manjak
ISO
University at Albany