Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:50:25 +0000

 Ultimately, I'm not finding the benefit strong enough to move me from my
core belief that it's not worth the usability trade-off and we should instead
be focusing energy getting users to use password managers. But I admit
that's subjective.

I'm not sure that password managers will take off.  The whole password system is little more than an annoyance to most
users, and until that changes, we're just expending a lot of energy, mostly needlessly.   That being said, I'm pinning
my hopes on multi-factor authentication.  Maybe one of us will get lucky.