Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Shane Williams <shanew () ISCHOOL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 17:48:34 -0500

I think you're viewing this backwards.  Here's the scenario that I
think describes most users in a "password expiration" setup.*

1. They create an account with us, setting their initial password to
   one they commonly use already.
2. At time X, they're made to change that password.  At this point,
   they might decide to use another password they use, but they will
   have used it fewer places than their first choice from step 1.
3. At each time X*N, they have to repeat this process, always picking
   a less commonly used password.

So, the biggest "danger" is between steps 1 & 2, where their
password on our system matches the one most likely to be found in a
mass exposure.  After that, unless they are syncing up their password
on all systems every time they have to change one of them (and I think
these people are few and far between), the chance that an exposed
password from another site is the one in use on our site decreases.

* This assumes you're keeping a sufficient password history, not
  allowing users to quick-cycle back to their favorite, etc.