Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

SSN Intake

From: Peter Setlak <psetlak () COLGATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:41:10 -0400

All,

I am exploring some options to simplify and unify forms / data gathering
from students - essentially, not have to ask our students multiple times in
different places for information we probably should already have.

First and foremost, I'm curious how other schools are gathering that
critical and most-sensitive piece of information, the SSN.

Some schools I've spoken to are using the Common App, some have moved to an
online form in the "portal", a "checklist", perhaps. Has anyone else gone
to a checklist? Is it successful?

Would anyone care to share? You may email me directly if you're
uncomfortable posting publicly.

--
Thank you,

Peter J. Setlak
Network Security Analyst, GSEC, GLEG, GCPM
Colgate University
---
psetlak () colgate edu
(315) 228-7151
Case-Geyer 450

Colgate IT Security - http://colgate.edu/itsecurity

Think *Green!* Please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Engage with Colgate University: *
News blog <http://blogs.colgate.edu/>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/#%21/colgateuniv>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/colgateuniversity>, Google+