Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Library Computers - State Schools

From: Robert Henry <rhenry () SCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:55:41 -0700

Here is what we did at my previous job, a state univ. and Federal
Depository Library  I'm working on putting the same, or similar, controls
in place at my current school, a private univ. and also an FDLP

We provided "semi-open" access in a couple of ways.  The first is what we
call the 'quick lookup' computers.. These are standup computers located at
the Reference Desk...These computers auto login to the network, so they are
ready to use at any moment... these were initially placed to provide very
quick printing needs for students, but have also be used by our community
patrons for basic needs.   The fact that these machines are standup only,
sort of discourages the long term usage.

The second method is a home grown solution.  We have four computers that we
designate as public only computers (student logins don't work on them).  We
allow any of our community patrons to visit the Circulation Desk, and
request a public login/password.  They are required to show ID, so there is
some accountability. The entire login/use/logoff process is controlled by a
custom powershell program we created.  When the patron logs in using the
login/password given to them from the circ desk, the system warns them that
they have 1 hour before being auto logged off.  At 60 minutes, they are
warned to wrap things up, at 70 minutes, they are reminded they have 5
minutes left, and at 75 minutes, the machine logs off automatically.  At
logoff, another script resets the password, and emails a new set of
credentials to the Circ. Desk.  We maintain 8 generic user accounts this
way.  Each night, all of the passwords are reset and emailed to circ to
start the day... This prevents the 'storing/stashing' of logins to use all
at once.

Each patron is allowed to use the system one time per day.. .(this helped
eliminate the 'campers'), but circulation staff have the discretion to give
more than one session if the need is legitimate.

Although these workstations are designated as Public only terminals,
students can request the login credentials if we are busy enough...

The whole system has been a huge step in reducing abuse by community
patrons, and we don't really get much negative feedback about the
limitations....I tend to see the same guys at them every morning, but after
their 'internet fix' for the day,they go elsewhere.

--
Robert Henry, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer

Security Reminder: Always protect your online credentials and never share
your login information with others.  SCU will NEVER request your
credentials or login ID via email. Any and all email messages that do
request this or other personal information are fraudulent.  You should mark
it as SPAM and block the sender. Please contact the IT service center at
(408) 554-5700 if you have concerns or questions.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Rachel Weaver <rboutili () macalester edu>