Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

DMARC, Yahoo and mailing lists

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:11:07 -0700

Has anyone had problems with Yahoo email users and mailing lists since April, and if so what did you do about it ?

http://blog.threadable.com/how-threadable-solved-the-dmarc-problem

Apparently there's a patch available for mailman, but I haven't tried it yet.

I hadn't been made aware of any mailing list problems here, but now I start looking into it with some test accounts, it seems I cannot send a message via mailman from a yahoo account to another yahoo account, or from a yahoo account to a hotmail account. Not just being filtered as spam, but actually getting an SMTP rejection.

When I check, I see that at least the following now have "reject" DMARC records:
facebook.com
linkedin.com
paypal.com
yahoo.com
twitter.com

viz. DNS TXT records for xxx.tld, e.g. "host -t txt _dmarc.yahoo.com"
or "dig +short -t txt _dmarc.twitter.com"

This probably has implications for Unix-style mail forwarding, too - forwarded linkedin and facebook notifications may fail if the target domain implements DMARC filtering.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)