Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access Certification / Review

From: Chris Green <chrisgreen () GSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 11:45:26 +0000

Peter:

You’ve hit the nail on the head that problem is is the IAM space.  You can get by with the spreadsheet review process
but it’s often incomplete.  You also get approval fatigue (how many systems X managers X admin processes coded per app).

For most people, maintain access is the right answer.  The exceptions are terminations,  job transfers, or departmental
responsibility changes.  In some sectors such as EDU where people are often shared between departments, you can also
include the system owner/steward in the review cycles.   Generally, they know what data is there and often the best at
identifying what is going on.    Without it, you generally miss part of reviews (e.g. you may get the ERP application
right but might forget the underlying DB or Unix System OR Backup System OR Systems Management System).

I think the process tool is much more important than the automated integration.  The automated integration can be
measured on a cost of connector/etc.

Measure time of the spreadsheet processes and identify gaps.  You’ll be well on your way to helping justify a tool.