Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised accounts at other institutes

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:20:56 +0000

I try to send direct notification to the "abuse" and "helpdesk" address at any .edu, .k12, .org or health organization
that is spamming us with phish.  If they both bounce, I will generally search the site to find another technical
contact address or contact form.  (Do YOU have those default reporting addresses?)

I have a few hundred "Internet Skeptics" who report novel phish sites to me, along with a target list of about 3 dozen
web form hosting services that we alert on but do not block in our inbound email.  As a result I respond about 2 dozen
different phish attacks per day.  In addition to notifying the host of the sender address, we report the phish link to
google and to the hosting sites, whether free web hosts or hacked sites.  Those actions help the whole community, I
hope.

The phish links that we take action against are all reported on a public google docs spreadsheet at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlMnxApOMKl_dEhVa3RCRG5uclVZNFZrY3hOSmFpaUE&usp=sharing

The target list of web form hosting sites that we alert on is at:
https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/be-an-internet-skeptic/form-services/
Some of the hosting services respond very promptly to our abuse reports, others not so much.

Phish victims are very infrequent here and I hope to keep it that way.   (We did lose one to a Direct Deposit phish a
few months ago, though.)

Bob Bayn      SER 301      (435)797-2396    IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,         Utah State University
    Do you know the "Skeptical Hover Technique" and
    how to tell where a web link really goes?  See:
    https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/computer-security-threats/articleID=23737