Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto Firewalls

From: Chris Golden <cgolden () LEEUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:41:04 +0000

We are using OSPF on the PAN 5020’s but not BGP.  We have some Brocade CER’s for that.

-Chris

From: Peter Setlak <psetlak () COLGATE EDU<mailto:psetlak () COLGATE EDU>>
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM
To: "SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU<mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE
EDU<mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Palo Alto Firewalls

It was suggested to us by the sales Engineer that while the Palo Alto CAN do BGP, it should not be used for it as it is
not built to handle a large convergence. We use separate edge routers built for BGP which gives us the performance we
want and some added protection, for instance, ACLs on certain subnets that can keep some traffic from ever hitting the
PA in the first place.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Jeremiah Cherwien <jcherwien001 () luthersem edu<mailto:jcherwien001 () luthersem