Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto Firewalls

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:19:40 -0500

Shayne,

I previously worked as a consultant for a Palo Alto vendor and in
education, so I understand your battle between money and redundancy.
That said, I have a few comments.

If you need 99.999% uptime, I would not recommend *any* solution without
a failover device. Sometimes you have to reboot a device. If you need to
perform a device upgrade, your 99.999% uptime is shot because it takes
longer than 5 minutes to boot. Get the failover device.

I personally don't know of any firewall that fails closed, but I guess
there might be some. If you are using a firewall then I am assuming you
are trying to protect something. If the firewall is your protection from
the Internet, do you really want it to fail closed with 0 protection or
would you rather it fail open and despite not passing any traffic it is
still providing protection?

I've worked with quite a few companies over the last couple of years and
from their experience, my experience, and the experience of my former
coworkers, don't run firewalls in active/active mode. You'll run into a
lot of trouble if you do.

I am currently working with a company that uses BGP religiously
throughout their network and have multiple providers. I'm not aware of
them having any issues with it.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GPPA GCIA GCIH GCFA CNSE