Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: iTunesU and network bandwidth

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:50:11 -0500

On 3/6/2014 7:41 PM, Julian Y Koh wrote:
On Thu Mar 06 2014 18:15:09 CST, Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA> wrote:
I was curious if anyone else had this problem, seeing as Apple has (I believe) been pushing iTunesU for student
lectures etc.
I mean, does iTunes have any edge platforms on the research networks, and if so is there any way one can use them
preferentially ?
We haven’t seen that specific issue with iTunesU content, but you might want to look to see if you can host Akamai
servers locally on your campus network.

I don't know the specifics about their CDN, but in some cases the
"hosting provider/ISP" running the cache nodes can control the IP
prefixes which are advertised to that node.

Our local ISP has Akamai, Google, and Netflix caches; but as a "load
balancing" request we had them block us being advertised to their
Netflix cache so we could pull from SoX (I2/TransitRail) nodes.  It has
our traffic about split in half between the two cache farms :)

Jeff