Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Replacing NetReg with ?

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 09:52:33 -0600

We had a Bradford Networks device that managed both wired and wireless. It could do a number of nice things like pull
AD attributes to determine the VLAN assignment. It also gave decent security as it controlled items at a port level and
ports were set to default to a dead-end network to prevent spreading malware. Unfortunately the device was slow and
cumbersome to use; it caused headaches at the beginning of every year as the rush of new students registering devices
causes issues. Things came to a head when we had a failure and I was unsatisfied with Bradford's response, so we began
looking elsewhere.

We looked at SafeConnect, but, if I remember correctly, it more manages the outgoing Internet traffic and doesn't
really manage at a port level. It seemed a little intrusive on clients as it required an always installed agent on
computers. The Bradford solution allowed for a "dissolvable" agent that installed, ran, and uninstalled.

We ended up rolling out Packetfence. While not quite as full-featured as Bradford, but it's free, faster than Bradford,
and is virtualized to give some measure of redundancy. We've been using it for a year now and it has been what we were
looking for. YMMV.

Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College