Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: a question about having College ID number as part of directory information

From: K <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 13:11:05 -0600

We have made the ID number directory information in the FERPA sense, and told everyone not to use the ID number as a
means of authentication.  The reason for it is that we have a large database of names, for example with over 200
Michael Johnsons, and ID number is the only feasible way to identify students and employees with precision.

Kevin