Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: a question about having College ID number as part of directory information

From: "pmorley () mcdaniel edu" <pmorley () MCDANIEL EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 14:11:52 +0000

                Good Morning,

                We had similar concerns, and when Microsoft AD was implemented here Microsoft told us that don't store
anything that is sensitive in AD......

                We mitigated this by extending our schema with custom attributes that are marked as "private" and are
secured by a special security group only certain things can query on these attributes.

                This is the only way that is supported and that appears to be relatively secure.

                To do this, you must apply for a site specific OID and use that OID to extend your schema.

                Thanks.

Phillip Morley
Data Center Administrator | Information Technology
McDaniel College
2 College Hill
Westminster, MD 21157
* Office: (410) 857-2540