Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FYI - Adobe account compromise

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:20:05 -0800

FYI

Per http://xkcd.com/1286/ and others, hackers have leaked 130 million user records from Adobe, containing email address, 3DES encrypted password, and hint, with lines like:

63498551-|--|-mxxxxxxx () wisc edu-|-eYxxxxxxxxxxxxx==-|-kunsan cutie|--

2 million of these are .edu addresses

From what I have read, the passwords are encrypted using a symmetric key
but the key is unknown. For now. As a mailing list for spam, it needs washing, badly.

All that user education is having some effect, at least. The most popular password is now "123456", an improvement over
"12345" a couple of years ago and "1234" before that.
Per http://stricture-group.com/files/adobe-top100.txt

See also
http://www.hydraze.org/2013/10/some-information-on-adobe-135m-users-leak/
http://www.leemangold.com/2013/11/02/adobe-data-breach-faq/
http://tobtu.com/adobe.php
http://anonnews.org/forum/post/64784
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/how-an-epic-blunder-by-adobe-could-strengthen-hand-of-password-crackers/
Password reset: https://www.adobe.com/ca/account/sign-in.adobedotcom.html

I'm not sure it's really a big cause for concern, though I guess a lot of people use the same password for everything and there's their password hint "dog's name" sitting out there. The etymology of user names on Hotmail should we worth a sociology paper or two.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)