Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Trying to promote security knowledge not a commercial entity - Elsevier $1 eBook sale

From: "James H. Moore" <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:23:36 +0000

Mentioning this seems like a shameless plug for a commercial entity, not mentioning would seem to hinder the spread of
knowledge that so needs to be spread.

I know that our student workers were delighted in adding significantly to their security library.

Elsevier has a $1 DRM-free eBook sale going on for a limited time (including Computer Security and Computer Science
books, among others).  Some of the books included are "Digital Forensics with Open Source Tools" by Cory Altheide, and
"Registry Forensics" by Harlan Carvey.  There are more general computer security books as well, including one CISSP
study guide.

http://store.elsevier.com/coArticle.jsp?pageid=17600012#Computer%20Security  (note the promo code ONESALE at checkout
reduces the cost to $1).   There is a limit of 3 eBooks purchased at a time.  But students in our office just navigated
to the page after checkout, and purchased more, and they received the discount again after applying the promo code.

Maybe I should just say that I am thankful for all people and publishers who spread knowledge about
computer/information security.

Jim
- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM, ITIL Foundations
Senior Information Security Forensic Investigator
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

The first duty of the university is to teach wisdom, not a trade; character, not technicalities.  We want a lot of
engineers in the modern world, but we do not want a world of engineers.  Winston Churchill, Nov 18, 1948

Quick question … There is usually an inverse relationship between the perceived length of questions and their real
answers.  That is often due to the fact that the person answering usually has to first overcome the idea that the
system providing the context for the question is simple.  Note: this observation has analogs in the areas of simple
solutions, and low hanging fruit.  Jim Moore 2013

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any
copies of this information