Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI - Adobe account compromise

From: Gary Warner <gar () CIS UAB EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:06:56 -0600

Andrew,

One must remember that a password should be strong enough to protect the value of the system it is on.  I believe it is
probably forgivable to have absolute trash passwords on a system that forces you to register to download a free
software update.  There really isn't any personal data being protected there.

That said, we've been having fun playing with the "same as" passwords -- such as "Same as Work VPN". I'd watch for
"Stanford.edu" folks who mention "SUNet" in their hint . . . just choosing the first one as an example:

102792539-|--|-cgoldenberg () stanford edu-|-GXmAMPNONSTioxG6CatHBw==-|-sunet id|--

For other schools - "what do you call your local University ID?"   Might be worth seeing which of your students/staff
told Adobe that there ID was a match.  (We use BlazerID's at UAB - many listed there - but fortunately we just went
through a big mandatory password change anyway!)

Then script something to search for the crypted version of their hash.  If there are LOTS of matches, it might mean a
bad password choices.  If there are very FEW hashes, it may mean that it would be time to talk about not using the same
password everywhere.  (For instance, I'm guessing CGoldenberg@stanford and ClaudeG@stanford and CoachCrikket@gmail are
all the same guy based on password re-use of a "rare" password.)

Does that make sense?

Gary Warner
Director of Research in Computer Forensics
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Center for Information Assurance and Joint Forensics Research
205.422.2113
gar () cis uab edu