Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking phishing URL's

From: "Maloney, Michael" <mmaloney () MIDDLESEXCC EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:54:56 +0000

While not the most efficient way to do it, it has worked for large majority of the phishing we get.  I create a zone in
DNS, and set the hostnames in the URL to point to 127.0.0.1.  It won't work for stuff housed at say Google Docs,  but
it's been pretty effective here.

A downside to this (or any method at the edge), is there is no way to block them when someone accesses their mail
remotely (ie web based mail)

Mike Maloney
Sr. System Engineer
Middlesex County College
2600 Woodbridge Avenue
Edison, NJ 08818
Phone: 732-906-7754
Cell: 908-217-2086
Fax: 732-906-4266
Email: mmaloney () middlesexcc edu<mailto:mmaloney () middlesexcc edu>