Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking phishing URL's

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:35:48 +0000

Mally,
Since the Oxford incident and the subsequent addition of a warning at the bottom of google docs forms, we haven't seen
them used much at all for phishing.  Instead, phishers have moved on to services like jimdo(.)com,  webs(.)com,
yolasite(.)com and coffeecup(.)com among others.  The whole list that we watch out for is maintained at:
          https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/be-an-internet-skeptic/form-services/

And I have recruited about 350 "Internet Skeptics" who report phish messages to me.

Bob Bayn    SER 301    (435)797-2396       IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,     Utah State University
     three common hazardous email scams to watch out for:
     1) unfamiliar transaction report from familiar business
     2) attachment with no explanation in message body
     3) "phishing" for your email password