Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encryption

From: "Self, Dennis" <dlself () SAMFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 23:20:54 +0000

Using WinMagic for Windows and OS X.

Dennis

From: William Quan <WQuan () UWB EDU<mailto:WQuan () UWB EDU>>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
To: "SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU<mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE
EDU<mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Encryption

Thank you all for your responses.  We looked at Sophos but decided against it and hare having a conversation with Dell
in a week or so.  Most of our desktops right now are purchased without TPM (would love to hear from anyone who does
order all their desktops with TPM) so tested BitLocker on one and though it works, it does require a USB drive to boot
and that has its own set of problems.  BitLocker tested on laptops with TPM works well but we haven’t had any out in
the field yet.

Has anyone implemented EFS and have pros and cons on that?

Am also interested in Symantecs PGP so Jim I’ll ping you on that.

Will