Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encryption

From: "Shamblin, Quinn" <qrs () BU EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:30:14 +0000

We talked to a number of encryption vendors and we ended up with one that's more of an ankle biter than a Gartner
leader.  We went with secureDoc, at the time their price point was much more attractive than McAfee, Symantec, PGP
(they were separate then) and a few others, plus secureDoc supports Mac as well as Windows.  We have had some
implementation challenges, but I attribute those 2 hour and not connecting this solution directly to our active
directory as designed.  We're going to make that connection sometime within the next couple of weeks and we hope two at
that point see the installation of this solution to be much more streamlined.

We didn't go with BitLocker and FileVault directly at that time because of the challenges in backing up the decryption
key in case the person loses their password.  Enterprise key escrow is pretty important when trying to protect the
ability for the university to continue to access its own resources.

I'm happy to chat about this more offline if you'd like.  617-358-6310

Quinn R Shamblin                                                            .
Executive Director of Information Security, Boston University