Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encryption

From: Dan Han <s2dhan () VCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:38:26 -0500

We are using Dell Data Protection and Encryption (DDPE), formerly Credant.
We selected this product a few years ago after evaluating various
encryption solutions, some of which are mentioned by others on the list. At
the time of our evaluation, DDPE was the only product that worked with a
wide variety of hardware models from multiple manufacturers (typical in our
environment), and one of the few that did not require a pre-boot
authentication.

Like others have mentioned, you must understand your environment and
culture before selecting and deploying your product, while none of the
products are perfect and each has its own strengths, you have to choose the
product that best fits in your environment.

Dan Han
Virginia Commonwealth University