Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mac security options

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 18:59:43 +0000

Hi, David-

Ditto on the "Macs are hard to secure" sentiment.  We're just embarking down this road and have decided on a
multi-product approach to bringing Macs in line with the standards that we enforce on our Windows machines.    Because
Apple doesn't have a "keep your hard drive" option as our PC vendor does, we're going to encrypt all Macs (both
desktops and laptops) with McAfee Endpoint Encryption.  It's managed through McAfee's ePO console, along with the
McAfee antivirus for Macs.  For policy enforcement, we're using a product called Centrify, which allows you to enforce
Active Directory group policies on the Mac.  As part of that solution, the Macs will be joined to our Active Directory
domain.  And for patches, we're using our existing LANDesk solution.

We're in the beta phase of this project right now and have rolled out the solutions to the IT group and a limited
number of users.   I'd be happy to talk to you about experience so far if you have any questions.

Sherry Callahan
Information Security Officer
University of Kansas Medical Center
(913) 588-0966 | scallahan () kumc edu