Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: do your former employees get to keep their email address?

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:49:50 +0000

Bob,

We don't allow our employees or students to retain their email address after they leave the University on a permanent
basis and we also don't allow auto-forwarding of email.  Employees lose access immediately and students retain access
for up to 6 months after they leave.  HIPAA requirements are a huge driver behind that policy, but there are other
reasons as well (licensing, state policy, legal liability, etc.  )

We've had that policy in place for about 11 years now, so I can't really comment on a transition like the one you are
about to embark on.  However, if I can provide some advice it would be to ensure that this policy change is well
communicated.  That will prevent any frustration and phone calls from folks who have lost their access and then want
copies of their email, contacts, etc.  If they know to be prepared, they'll have plenty of time to work out the
transition on their own.
Sherry Callahan
Information Security Officer
University of Kansas Medical Center
(913) 588-0966 | scallahan () kumc edu<mailto:scallahan () kumc edu>