Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: netID lengths

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:19:42 -0400

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:07:49AM -0400, Dr. Wole Akpose wrote:
We use firstname.lastname for staff and for students we use - first two
letters of first name, first three letters of last, and a number (counter).
I will not be as concerned about username length as I would be about
password length though. .....

They are different things for different problems.  If you get 50K+ new
people a year, and don't want to ever re-use (although I'd feel comfortable
reusing after 25 years), you have to have a large enough space.

We use first initial, four letters of last name, and three digits.
Just waiting until we've hit 100 J Smiths..... actually, Cote is
one of the popular names here.  Have over 50 of them now.

--
Pete Hickey                               To err is human.
The University of Ottawa