Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Reactions to reported NSA PRISM program

From: Emery Rudolph <erudolph () UMD EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:41:34 +0000

I too am extremely interested in the responses from those who are embedded in the IT industry and responsible for the
security of data. To this point, the NSA's access to this data has been characterized as direct connection to the
servers within the various vendors data centers. To me, that means they have the ability to tap of the primary data
feeds and thus do not require any intermediate authorization mechanism. I would like more details on the actual
connection details, but I would argue that if they have access within the data center, then by default, they and the
ISP, vendors are one in the same in their access.

Given the nature of this program, it does not seem that there is any "real" option for an institution or corporation to
protect the privacy of their data, except to bring it all back in house and isolate it from the network, which is
impractical for many environments and programs.

Although the goal of the NSA program is to mine data in an unidentifiable manner, the agency is comprised of humans and
we will always overreach when presented with the opportunity.

Interested to read more on this and hear others responses.

Very Best Regards,

Emery Rudolph, MS
Manager
IT-ETI-PS Enterprise UNIX Services