Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Reactions to reported NSA PRISM program

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:02:00 -0500

For those of you already using Google or Microsoft cloud e-mail solutions, I'll be curious to hear the reactions on your campuses to this news.

I believe the tech companies are telling the truth when they say they don't provide direct backdoor access into their systems and that the PRISM presentation may overstate the cooperation and capabilities of the system, however that doesn't preclude the government from abusing existing systems and capabilities e.g. those under CALEA lawful intercept capabilities.

Kevin

--
Kevin Halgren
Assistant Director - Systems and Network Services