Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: secure file and prevent printing and saving?

From: Justin Bennett <jbennett () MSJC EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 08:24:07 -0700

Hi Russ,

Adobe Acrobat allows you to set restrictions on PDF files for printing
with the "Restrict Editing And Printing Of The Document
<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WSD012A4E1-51D1-4bcd-BA
9F-EF03C6F20BB6.html> " option.

The only issue is that if you can see it, you can print it, even if the
program limits it. All you need is to use a program like Snag It which
allows you to do page long screen grabs, or you could print screen it
back together.
http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-snagit-mac-scrolling-window.html
<http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-snagit-mac-scrolling-window.html>

Justin Bennett

Supervisor of Network Technology
Information Technology
jbennett () msjc edu <mailto:jbennett () msjc edu>

Mt. San Jacinto College
Phone 951-639-5090
http://www.msjc.edu <http://www.msjc.edu/>

d Security Notice: MSJC Information Technology Staff will never ask for
your password. Keep your passwords private to protect yourself and the
security of our network.