Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest wireless restrictions

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:04:25 -0400

The short answer is, we're probably not going to do anything for those
sites, unless we get lots and lots of requests (or the university president
starts using them :-). I didn't mean to imply, when I wrote "no plaintext,"
that we were expecting (or even trying) to keep unencrypted traffic off the
network. All I meant was that we're not going to open up the "plaintext"
(non-SSL) ports for these services.

The devices we mostly see on the network today doing POP/IMAP are phones.
As far as I know, neither iOS nor Android support STARTTLS in POP/IMAP,
they use the SSL-ified versions of those services. If that changes in the
future, I suppose we would just open those ports back up. We're not
planning to open up XMPP at all, so we don't care about that. And for port
587, it's "supposed" to be STARTTLS, but we're not actually going to check
(just as we're not going to check for SSL on the other ports). The main
thing there is we're not opening up port 25.

At the end of the day, we're trying to offer a convenience service for most
of our guests, for the hour or two that they're on campus, while at the
same time not opening things up for abuse. It's not intended to replace
their home/work Internet, and they can always use their cellular connection
if they need something we don't permit.

--Dave

--

*DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP* • DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

*THE NEW SCHOOL* • 55 W. 13TH STREET • NEW YORK, NY 10011

+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Derek Diget <