Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest wireless restrictions

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:24:46 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to this query.

In summary, it looks like most respondents who are limiting accessible
ports are using a list that is basically HTTP/S, POP/IMAP, SMTPS, and VPN.
SSH and NTP were also mentioned. One individual provided the eduroam list
of recommended protocols (basically these protocols plus a couple of
others); that list can be found at https://www.eduroam.us/node/69.

As for bandwidth limiting, not too many people answered that (or they're
not doing it), but of the couple who did, limits were either 1 Mbps down/up
or 1 Mbps down and 384 Kbps up. In Googling around I've found a couple of
other schools at both of those levels, and one school that's doing 5 Mbps
down and 1 Mbps up. There are some other schools that limit things based on
amount of data transferred rather than "speed."

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

--Dave

--

*DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP* • DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY

*THE NEW SCHOOL* • 55 W. 13TH STREET • NEW YORK, NY 10011

+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu