Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java problems

From: Louis APONTE <louisaponte () WEBER EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:38:07 -0700

On the SE download page Oracle advises all version 6 users to move to
update 38, not really a stand down as your not affected.

The latest updates to that page (as of Sept. 19, 2012) state (emphasis
added):
Java SE 6 End of Public Updates Notice

After February 2013, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 6 to
its public download sites. Existing Java SE 6 downloads already posted
as of February 2013 will remain accessible in the Java Archive (
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/archive-139210.html ) on
Oracle Technology Network. Developers and end-users are encouraged to
update to more recent Java SE versions that remain available for public
download. For enterprise customers, who need continued access to
critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for
Java SE 6 or older versions, long term support is available through
Oracle Java SE Support (
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/java-se-support-393643.html?ssSourceSiteId=otnen
) .

What does this mean for Oracle E-Business Suite users?
EBS users fall under the category of "enterprise users" above.  Java is
an integral part of the Oracle E-Business Suite technology stack, so EBS
users will continue to receive Java SE 6 updates after February 2013.
In other words, nothing will change for EBS users after February 2013.

The eBusiness and normal users support has created added additional
confusion about Java 6.

On 1/14/2013 at 08:21 AM, in message
<5220D448876FCD43ABAD3F71AC8184483BA24083E6 () EXCHANGE2007 oneonta edu>,
"McClenon, Brady" <Brady.McClenon () ONEONTA EDU> wrote:

From
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2013-0422-1896849.html

Affected product releases and versions:

Java SE
Patch Availability

JDK and JRE 7 Update 10 and earlier
Java SE (
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2013-0422-1896849.html#PatchTable
)

Note: JDK and JRE 6, 5.0 and 1.4.2, and Java SE Embedded JRE releases
are not affected.