Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java problems

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:27:09 -0600

It looks like there were some early conflicting reports on the issue, and this report (https://partners.immunityinc.com/idocs/Java%20MBeanInstantiator.findClass%200day%20Analysis.pdf) seems to indicate that the fundamental code vulnerability also exists in Java 6.

However the latest consensus seems to be that this particular exploit requires both the code vulnerability and a new feature that only exists in Java 7 to successfully exploit a system.

At the moment, Java 6 seems to be unaffected. Oracle is still saying they'll end support and updates for Java 6 at the end of February, though.

Kevin