Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java problems

From: Chuck Braden <j-braden () TAMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:24:40 +0000

Everything I am reading says the most current version of 1.6  is not
vulnerable to the zero day currently being exploited. However, you got all
of 1 month before 1.6 goes End-of-life.  The initial announcement about
1.7.11 seems to indicate the vulnerabilities identified in the last week are
addressed with 1.7.11

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01/13/oracle-releases-cve-2013-0422-pat
ch-for-java/

So here's some good news: Oracle has been on the ball and has already come
out with a patch. Java 7 Update 11
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u11-relnotes-1896856.html>
fixes both CVE-2013-0422 and a second vulnerability.

I also saw a couple of links that says 1.7.11 is still vulnerable - but it
seems the existing code implemented a work around.

http://www.zdnet.com/security-experts-on-java-fixing-zero-day-exploit-could-
take-two-years-7000009756/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/8175388/Java-update-still-h
as-bugs-says-expert