Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Login Banners?

From: Justin Bennett <jbennett () MSJC EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:14:11 -0700

Good afternoon,

For local user accessed systems, login banner is presented with a synopsis of our local Acceptable Use Policy:
"Use of this District Owned Equipment Is Governed by the Mt. San Jacinto College Acceptable Use Policy.  By continuing
to enter the system, the user agrees that he/she has read, understood, and will comply with the policies outlined in
the document.                    http://www.msjc.edu/aupfs.htm";

For other systems with no-user direct access, a login banner, built off a template from NIST, is presented:
"NOTICE:
This is a State computer system and is the property of the California
State Government. It is for authorized use only. Unauthorized or
improper use of this system may result in administrative disciplinary
action and civil and criminal penalties. Any or all uses of this system
and all files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded,
copied, audited, inspected, and disclosed to authorized site,
Mt. San Jacinto College, and law enforcement personnel, as well as
authorized officials of other agencies."

Justin Bennett
Supervisor of Network Technology
Information Technology
jbennett () msjc edu

Mt. San Jacinto College
Phone 951-639-5090
http://www.msjc.edu

 Security Notice: MSJC Information Technology Staff will never ask for your password. Keep your passwords private to
protect yourself and the security of our network.