Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS recommendations

From: Walter Petruska <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 08:32:05 -0700

Use of the 'exception' option in building the policy related to the threat
or event activity.  You may then include or exclude particular IP
addresses, ranges, MAC addresses, users, ports, protocols, applications,
etc as you wish from the action prescribed by your policy.

Or create an entry which is more granular and specifies different behavior
for a subset of rules, threats or systems and place the item higher in your
policy.

You may also build the exception right from the alert view, should you
decide you're getting too many and you wish to suppress them in the future.