Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS recommendations

From: Robert Rudloff <Robert.Rudloff () DU EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:41:12 -0700

We are working with a product/service called MetaFlows – the primary drivers are 10Gbps capability and pricing.  The
upsides are cost (very low compared to others), the primary detection engine is Snort (well known, documented, and
straight forward to work with), and a modular design approach so we can scale it up from sub-gig to multi-gig.  The
main downside is the interface is definitely an "engineers" interface – although you can produce lots of pretty
reports, it is not designed for managers – we actually like that aspect since it is meant to be a security tool.

It also has some SIEM-like features, plus OSSEC, BotHunter, Ntop, and external vulnerability scanning.  So far so good
with it – we are still working on the best way to use the features included.  The other upside regarding cost – we've
been able to replace the old IPS and use the IDS capability to monitor more of the internal network, for about half the
cost of a straight replacement of the existing IPS.

I'd love to have a Palo Alto, the latest Tipping Point, or some of the other tools out there – but going to 10Gbps the
costs are just too high.

Robert Rudloff
AVC/CISO, UTS-Service Assurance
University of Denver