Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Public Use VLAN (x-posted to netman listserv)

From: Allen Wood <awood () HILLCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 01:56:38 +0000

As much as I hate it, I've been told to setup an open wireless network for our campus.  I created a vlan with access
lists that deny  all traffic to inside our network, and created the open SSID to put on it.  Traffic can flow freely
now from the open wireless to the internet.

However, I'm using a public DNS for the clients and they're unable to reach our locally hosted (NAT'd) web servers.
We're currently using a Cisco ASA at the edge of our network which does all of our NAT'ing.  I could open up the VLAN
access list a bit and allow them access to our internal DNS & web servers, but I'd rather not.

Has anyone run into this issue before?  What's the "best practices" at this point... other than removing the public
network in the first place!

Thanks in advance,

Allen