Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Use VLAN (x-posted to netman listserv)

From: H Morrow Long <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:23:44 -0400

Best Practices:

* Disallow all other protocols than HTTP and HTTPS on the standard ports.
* Allow VPN.
* NAT to a public IP outside your public IP address space.
* Require a capture page with a 'Accept our policy' button (along with your
legal notice).  But don't rely on any info (this is why we don't ask for the
guest's email).
* Restrict the bandwidth (or you will end up having your internal students,
staff and faculty using guest wireless rather than your secure wireless.
* Make certain that guest wifi traffic has to pass through your external
firewall rather than being handled by just a router.
* Log the WiFi physical addresses using your guest wifi (e.g. Log at the
DHCP server and/or NAT) to track if internal users are using the guest
network rather than secure wifi???