Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Freedom versus Security

From: "Mertz, Brian E" <bmertz () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:31:20 +0000

One non-policy way that we have framed this issue in the past is to actually state that we give our employees MORE
freedom than other work environments. We like to point out that many corporate environments monitor and block emails
based on keywords in the emails, that many businesses will restrict what web sites employees can visit, and many
companies will not allow outside devices on their networks.

We explain that from a security standpoint, such a tightly locked down environment is much easier to centrally protect
than a network that is as open as ours. But because we value academic freedom, we do not lock down our network in the
ways that many businesses do.

Unless you have a faculty or staff member that is totally insulated in academia, most will know a friend or family
member who works in one of these far more restrictive corporate online environments. As you're making this point,
they'll probably recall a story from that friend about being unable to reach YouTube or another site from work, and the
notion that the University environment is MORE open will take hold.

At that point, we like to drive home the idea by noting that the increased freedom on our network comes with more
responsibility for the end user. We make it clear that our security office can not guard an "open" network by itself,
and therefore, we need to enlist the help of our end users to keep our University network and data safe. Most people
seem to not only understand, but they buy into this concept that we are asking them to help protect our network by
taking better care of their accounts and their data.

Once you get a faculty or staff member to that point of thinking, all security policies and best practices come off as
ways of teaching them to better protect the online freedom that we give them on our network. University employees have
a lot of freedom on our network, but they also have the responsibility to help protect those freedoms by being
responsible on our network. If they want a free and open network, they have to help preserve it by being secure online.

So to get back to the original issue… I doubt any of your new policies are blacklisting web sites or monitoring email
or anything that will change the day to day habits for most employees. Most likely, you're just codifying best
practices that many people already follow.

To the ones that have complaints about authentication, point out that in order to have a network that is fast, stable
and free, we need to make sure only people authorized to be on our network are using it. Employees at your university
have freedoms that many corporate employees don't — namely, they can hook up their own devices to the University's
network. But in order to do that, it's the employee's responsibility to help protect that network by logging in when
they bring a personal device.

None of this codifies well into policy. But if you can frame your education/outreach in this form, you'll find a lot
more buy-in than saying that you're protecting employee's from their own bad behaviors (which, of course, we are doing
as well).

Showing people how security empowers them online makes them far more likely to buy into security practices than saying
that as employees they have to follow rules because the university says so or because a certain practice is the best
way to guard the university's data.

--
Brian Mertz
Chief Communications Officer