Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rethinking the DMZ

From: David Byers <david.byers () LIU SE>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:41:18 +0200

Whether you have perimeter protection or not does not greatly impact the
need for protection on each host. Chances are pretty good that
eventually something inside your perimeter will become a
malware-infested zombie, attacking anything and everything it can -- and
your typical border firewall will sit there, oblivious. The wider your
perimeter, the more likely this is to happen.

So firewalling at the network level or no, you still need to lock down
the hosts.

Locking down the hosts doesn't necessarily mean deploying a "personal
firewall". It could (and should) first and foremost mean ensuring that
all accessible services are secure, and that only those services that
need to be running, are running. Do that right, and the personal
firewall becomes much simpler.

This can be done with hundreds or thousands of servers. It's not *that*
hard. It helps to have good configuration management tools, and a
reasonable change control process in place. But even without that, it's
doable with a fairly large number of servers (we manage pretty well).

I am, by the way, not a network guru -- I'm first and foremost a
security person. And I think that "defense in depth" are words to live
by in the IT security domain.

--
David Byers
Head of Division