Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Rethinking the DMZ

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:09:38 +0000

We are thinking about changing our network architecture.

As our network has grown and the complexity of our public facing systems and connectivity needs of those systems has
increased, we are wondering what value our DMZ delivers.

As an example, public facing systems in the DMZ that require access to LDAP/AD for AAA, SQL for database lookups,
Exchange for mail delivery and relay, etc.

For those of you with non-trivial public facing systems, where do you draw the balance line between security and
access?  If our most visible public facing systems (most likely to be attacked) require internal AAA & SQL access, what
are we protecting?

Given current system requirements and the evolution of security, are the reasons for setting up a DMZ 15 years ago
still valid, and is the value of maintaining a DMZ worth the associated costs and if not, what are the alternatives?

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist, CISSP

Information Technology Security Engineer

Technology Services

Columbia College

1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216

(573) 875-7334

jryoungquist () ccis edu<mailto:jryoungquist () ccis edu>

http://www.ccis.edu