Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop cable locks

From: Adam Nave <nave () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 08:57:23 -0500

A lot of the theft on our campus is casual and opportunistic, so laptop
locks do help there. Not that people remember to use them much, but we do
see obvious targets passed over occasionally, and we assume it's because of
the locks. Is it worth it? I'm not sure, but I think we have a lot more
unused locks on campus than used ones.

That said, if 3 guys show up with duffel bags and bolt cutters, with the
intent of clearing a computer lab out, those locks aren't slowing them down
much. After that, we installed alarm systems in the computer labs and on
our LCD projectors.

--Adam