Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Degreedup.org - phishing scam or just junk mail?

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:24:27 +0000

Actually a little looking at the results of a google search for "degreedup scholarship site:.edu" will show that many
of the listings are in other units of the school than their financial aid office.  The thorough spam of employees gets
the message out to people who aren't familiar with scholarship standards and will post the notice just to be "helpful"
to their group of students.  The degreedup spam (and its predecessor hazing awareness scholarship spam) always include
a link to one of these googled sites as sort of a "reference" and claim to legitimacy, even when the site is in some
department or student organization.

Our Financial Aid office listed it without review, but when I pointed out some of the "features" of the scholarship,
they took it down.

The award process includes no evaluation of student performance or need, it is a lottery.

Bob Bayn              (435)797-2396           IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,     Utah State University
    three common hazardous email scams to watch out for:
     1) "phishing" for your email password
     2) unfamiliar transaction report from familiar business
     3) attachment with no explanation in the message body