Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS Review - 40 Hours?

From: John Hoffoss <John.Hoffoss () SO MNSCU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:43:22 +0000

And if you ask more than one QSA, you'll get a variety of expert opinions to choose from!

If you're doing a PCI DSS review of an existing effort, and in one or two relatively constrained scopes, you can
certainly get something put together that gets close. After all, a review for internal auditing purposes does not need
the detail a QSA's attestation does. And as I'm hinting at above, QSAs all differ, because unfortunately PCI is still
pretty much up to the individual interpreting the requirements. What satisfies one will not satisfy another. Focus
instead on your PCI remediation efforts that realistically reduce the risk of breach, then go from there. Or rather,
audit with that approach in mind--seek compliance to reduce risk, not to achieve compliance.

If you're trying to review *all* payment areas at an institution, you might want to either politely decline that
request or suggest the time estimate be multiplied by 10 (to start) and put that on your next annual work plan.

Either way, it sounds like Jen's work plans may be useful for you, at least as a start.

-jth