Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: US Department of Justice Victim Notification System

From: Brent Sweeny <sweeny () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:04:51 -0500

is anyone else getting these sorts of USDOJ notices? they look and feel
like a phish (the generic opening is very suspicious, the 'victim id #'
and PIN are the same in all instances of the note, the whole premise
smells fishy, the references to later communication that so far haven't
happened, etc), but the URLs and phone numbers are legit, and there's no
fake reply-to or underlying URLs, so I can't find anything explicitly
wrong with it. even the mail headers look correct.   the note refers to
attached information, and while there's no attachment, I just assumed
the information is included, not literally 'attached.'
        thanks.  Brent Sweeny, Indiana University